Where would you like to go?

Thursday 23 February 2012

Happy 80th birthday Lola Pacita!

Last weekend, not only did I make this Alvin cake for Cylah's 3rd birthday, I also had to make a special birthday cake for my sister-in-law Kat's Grandma.  Two cakes in one long day!  It was a mission, but by God's grace it wasn't impossible.  Kat's Lola (which means Grandma in our language) turned 80.  How awesome is that?  She is a funny lady, and very strong for her age.  I didn't know what kind of cake to make so I asked Kat to give me a list of some of her favourite things.

So, in no particular order we have:
  • walking
  • gardening
  • cigarettes
  • wine
  • red
I used some of the things on the list as inspiration to get thinking, then sketched a few ideas on my diary that led me to the following three:
  1. wine bottle in crate
  2. planter box with flowers 
  3. gift box with red bow
I really wanted to try the wine bottle in crate.  Time wasn't on my side (when is it ever? lol) but I didn't let that phase me.  Sure, I would have paid even more attention to detail with more time in my hands, but I think what I ended up with was still pretty cool.  Here are some pics for you all to enjoy!  I even gave the pics an old school feel, hope you like it!



Hope you liked today's post!  Sure, there's plenty of room for improvement, but with the time I had to work with, I am darn proud of what I accomplished!  Can't wait to give this cake another go!  

xo



No comments:

Post a Comment